Storms

"Time is a storm... but beyond time's storm, there's timelessness. The Lord of Heaven changes not, even when our view's most dark. God's never gone. It's only men go blind."

Godric, Frederick Buechner

The view seems dark now. In this past month, time's storm hit hard. Heartache for friends in pain, grief for the deaths that have touched my family, my friends. My uncle Kenny died suddenly last week. He was only 29. Dad loved him so, so much; I grieve to see Daddy hurt like this. And then again, a friend from church, Hermano Tony, died yesterday. And even though I didn't know him that well, I know the grief my family is going through now, I know his family and friends must be going through the same pain.

I feel helpless in this storm. With Dad, I can hug him, talk with him, and just be with him. But the grief remains, as it will for awhile. All I can really do is pray for Daddy, for Hermano's family, and for my friends. I really, really wish I could do more, wave some type of magic wand and make all the pain go away. But that's me wanting to do God's job. It is in His hands. I cannot ask for more.

And even though the view is dark now, I know it is not a pure darkness. My Uncle Kenny and Hermano Tony were both saved. And they now stand in the glorious presence of the Lord. What a thought!

I'm learning to trust in the promises of God, and in this process, I can find joy. I have found joy. A joy that is not circumstantial: the joy of the Lord, who is always, always there. Not a happy-go-lucky attitude, but a foundation, a comfort that the storms of time cannot shake. Please Lord, let me rest in that.


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll;

Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Katie Beth  – (March 25, 2010 at 3:59 PM)  

Juliet, I'm so sorry to hear about your family and friends. :-( I love you.

Joy  – (March 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM)  

Oh Juliet, I can empathize. This week has been so difficult for my family, with both my grandmother, sister, and sisters mother-in-law all having been in the ER. It doesn't seem to make any sense, why pain like this should afflict both us and the ones we love. But isn't it glorious that even through the pain, we have this sure hope that darkness will not endure. Remember the stars, dearest. *hugs*

Juliet SN  – (March 26, 2010 at 7:01 AM)  

KB, *hug*. Love you too :)

Joy, I'm so sorry to hear that. I'll be praying for you all. And it *is* glorious! We have an amazing Lord. *hugs back*

David K  – (March 26, 2010 at 10:04 AM)  

I was sure by now,
God, You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away,
Stepped in and saved the day.
But once again, I'll say "Amen." And it's still raining.

As the thunder rolls,
I barely hear You whisper through the rain,
"I'm with you."
And as Your mercy falls,
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

And I will praise You in this storm,
And I will lift my hands,
For You are who You are,
No matter where I am.
Every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand.
You never left my side,
And though my heart is torn,
I will praise You in this storm

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP