Beginnings



 The school year has finally started. And although we have had long, hot days instead of the crisp, cold air of fall that one normally associates with the beginning of school, there's a newness to the air and even to the feeling of time that revitalizes me.

My professor began my first class of the year, Advanced B/W Photography, with a quote from Henri Nouwen. It was the most perfect quote. I'm starting this school year much more exhausted and sick than I have been. Nothing dreadfully serious, but still, my pain keeps on increasing, and for the first time in a awhile, my anxieties and depressive tendencies have come back. It's strange not having control over my emotions. And honestly, it scares me.

On the first day, I made the commute to school while listening to Bach's cello sonatas. I neared campus, but my anxieties were so bad, I drove around campus three times before actually entering it. I parked and prayed. Finally, I got out of the car and left towards class.

So, here's the quote. It might be strange to choose a quote about rest for the beginning of a school year that promises hours and hours of hard work. Wonderful, yes, but definitely hard. But actually, this might be the perfect starting point for this school year. Simple, beautiful, gentle. And so we begin.


Take my tired body, 
my confused mind, 
and my restless soul into Your arms, 
and give me rest, simple quiet rest.


The Autumn Rain  – (September 3, 2012 at 8:22 PM)  

Praying hard, dear Juliet. You can do this.

Juliet SN  – (September 5, 2012 at 8:27 PM)  

Thank you so much, Allison. I really, really appreciate it. :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP