Variations on a Theme

I love listening to variations. Watching the theme weave in and out of the melody, sometimes hidden, sometimes apparent. This year has been the hardest of my life. But it's all been variations on a theme...


My sister stayed in Iraq, protected only by tents while the enemy attacked overhead. My uncle had open-heart surgery (quadruple bypass). And my Dad had a heart-attack. Winter days filled with rain, hospital visits, and phone calls from across the world.

The Lord is Faithful.

The Lord took dear Mrs. Butler, our pastor's wife, home with him. The loss was as unexpected as it was heart-breaking. And my uncle died, the first of my Mom's siblings. Spring days filled with mourning, tears, and comfort.

The Lord is Faithful.

I had the best time of my life with the most wonderful people in the world - my Schola Great Books Class. Summer days filled with books, dance, laughter, and friendship.

The Lord is Faithful.

My illness began. We searched for answers but found none. We made the decision to put my youngest brother (who has high-spectrum autism) on medication. Autumn days filled with pain, sleep, medications, and doctor visits.

The Lord is Faithful.

My grandmother had a stroke. And my sister came home. I decided to go on with college applications - health or not. One of my best friends was in a car accident. Winter days filled with hospital visits, paperwork, prayers, and hope.

The Lord is Faithful.

---

I can hope my strength and health will return in this new year... that my sister will stay safe in Iraq... that we will find that perfect dose for my baby brother... that family troubles will go away...

But my happiness cannot rely on those hopes.

I can know that the Lord will be faithful. And my happiness and joy will come from that amazing wonder. Praise be to our God!

May you see the faithfulness of the Lord in this new year. :)

Clayton  – (January 1, 2009 at 11:24 AM)  

My dear Juliet,
This is a beautiful post. It is just a glimpse at your beautiful soul. The LORD truly *is* faithful. I was looking over my year, with it's peaks and valleys, seeing how God has been faithful to me. Here you are, with your mountains and chasms arriving at the same conclusion. You're 2000 miles away, you come from a different background, with different surroundings. But the one thing that is the same across so vast a distance is...

The Lord is Faithful. :)

Unknown  – (January 2, 2009 at 10:23 AM)  

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ hath regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

Joy  – (January 2, 2009 at 11:19 AM)  

That joy and pain come from the same loved hand is a difficult concept, but somehow a soothing one. :) Thanks for this beautiful reminder.

Katie Beth  – (January 3, 2009 at 6:37 PM)  

Happy New Year, Juliet! I've had some rough moments this year, but some really fantastic ones too. Joy's absolutely right. :-) Love you!

Anonymous –   – (January 6, 2009 at 11:44 PM)  

Querida, puede ser que esta sea la primera vez que te escribo pero quiero que sepas que desde hace mucho que estoy orando para nuestro Senor Jesus Cristo te cuide, te sane, y te guie en todo lo que tienes por delante. Besos y carinos en El. Mary - Mama de Risa.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP