Day 1





"Hide behind big words, or listen to a child's first laugh and know that this world is here, that you are in it, and that its flavors are deep and layered and its lights are bright. Know that its real."

ND Wilson, Notes from a Tilt-A-Whirl

"This is, most of all, a book about reconciliation - the balancing and twining of the mundane and the miraculous. We need both, after all."

Neil Gaiman, Introduction to Lud-In-The-Mist


The mundane and the miraculous. It's easy to see the mundane, but why I do I miss the miraculous so, so often? So, I started a project. The M&M Project. Mundane and the miraculous. I want to fill my days with wonder. See, smell, touch, taste, hear the beauty that envelopes life. Remember that the Gospel fills every moment and ask God for the grace to see it.


Day 1

The Mundane: My youngest brother walked across the street with me, holding my hand while we met our neighbor's new dog. He smiled and laughed with me, then ran across the street and locked me out of the house. It took me fifteen minutes to get back inside. So very mundane.

The Miraculous: His very life is a miracle. When he was younger, he had lots of health complications. He wore a helmet as a baby, and then a halo brace - six screws into his skull, holding it all in place after the doctors grafted bone into his C1 vertebrae. Then he had and survived Kawasaki disease. He has high-functioning autism and an undiagnosed mood-disorder. That makes life, well, definitely adventurous on our end. When he's yelling up and down the house, the last thing on my mind is what a miracle he is. But it should be the first. God gave me this hilarious, wonderful, awfully exasperating at times, fun little brother. He's here and... he's alive. His very life is a miracle, and I thank God for him.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP